Social media beats traditional media to report Michael Jackson death


According to SearchEngine.com reports of the iconic star's demise first broke out on Twitter and Facebook ahead of US news stations CNN, FOX and MSNBC.

The first official news network to break the news was AOL's TMZ Blog, which first reported the news of his heart attack and then finally confirming his death.

Celebrity Twitter tribute posts quickly followed and were shown across news stations.
Wyclef Jean: "he lives forever in my heart i will never forget the day he came to see me in the studio and i played him music... R i p to Michael Jackson my music god ... Some lost Elvis Presley and we lost Michael Jackson... I cried today because Michael Jackson was a Father that we all lost!"

Coldplay: "MJ was the best of the best. His music and performances made the world a brighter place. His light will shine on forever."

Mariah Carey: "I am heartbroken. My prayers go out to the Jackson family and my heart goes out to his children.Let us remember him for his unparalleled contribution to the world of music, his generosity of spirit in his quest to heal the world & the joy he brought to his millions of devoted fans throughout the world. I feel blessed to have performed with him several times & to call him my friend. No artist will ever take his place. His star will shine forever."

On the 25th of July social media website Mashable.com stated that 30% of all Twitter posts included the words 'Michael Jackson'.

Tributes have appeared all over the world, from rockstars to everyday people to innmates in a Filipino prison.


Editor of Search Engine Journal, Loren Baker, said, “Only in a social media controlled world would we see a Twitterised ‘revolution’ in Iran, and the breaking news of Michael Jackson’s death.”

Social media has most certainly made clear the enormous impact of Michael Jackson's death and life has had on the entire world.

R.I.P

0 comments:

Post a Comment